When the late Steve Jobs developed the proposal for Apple Campus 2 back in 2011, he had one intention: to establish the best office structure in the world. As a result, the company started constructing an ultra-modern headquarters building to complete its campus at One Infinite Loop. After four years, Jobs’ dream is finally becoming a reality. Upon completion in early 2017, Apple is expected to migrate approximately 12,000 of its workers into the new space.
Apple Campus 2 is the second Apple campus located in Cupertino, California. Due to its circular-shaped design, it’s often referred to as the “Spaceship Campus.” Apple plans to finalize the construction by late 2016, and earlier this year, the company’s CEO, Tim Cook, stated that the firm is still in the process of moving into the new 2.8 million square foot area. Apple also plans to host future product unveilings and press events at the new Apple Theatre Auditorium, which will be situated on the campus.
Here are some vital facts about the new headquarters:
- Apple Campus 2 will contain 2.8 million square feet of office space.
- The site will span a whopping 176-acres.
- The main building will accommodate over 13,000 Apple staff.
- The main building will be more than a mile in circumference.
- There will be 300,000 square foot of underground parking and research facilities.
- It will contain separate on-site R&D facilities, including a 100,000 square foot workout and fitness centre.
- It will contain a 1,000-seat underground auditorium.
- The site will operate on 100% renewable energy.
- In 2014, Apple offered Sunnyvale Crossing 290,000 square foot of prime new office space – the additional space situated near the current “Infinite Loop” campus, as well as a portion of the new “Spaceship Campus.”
What is the budget for Apple Campus 2?
One thing everyone is eager to find out is how much money the new Apple campus will cost. At present, nobody knows the answer – not even Apple! Like most construction projects of this magnitude, the final cost will become clear when it’s nearer to completion. While it was initially thought that the campus would cost half a billion dollars, the price has already overrun due to the sheer scale of the project.
Apple is globally recognised for its stringent demands when it comes to materials and design in the tech sector. However, the expanding budget of this project hasn’t been met with the universal acclaim of their consumer products. In fact, back in 2013, angry shareholders attacked the plan, accusing it as wildly extravagant, arguing that too much money is being invested into a site that will not benefit them. Despite the accusations, Apple have stated that they can single handedly afford the budget. To put things into perspective, $5 billion represents approximately 2.3 percent of the company’s enormous cash reserve, which is estimated to total $216 billion.
At International Design Group, we offer architectural office planning for projects all over the world. Get in touch today, we’d love to hear from you.